25 December 2012

Merry Christmas 2012 ~

The following is a letter that I typically write every year simply detailing what we have done over the past year.  It is my way of traveling down memory lane as I look forward to the upcoming year...

Enjoy ~


Merry Christmas from the Bowers ~ 2012 ~
 
So here we are again at the close of another year… It just seems like yesterday that I was mentally preparing and somewhat organizing for a move to Indiana.  That’s exactly what was happening this time last year.  David had already taken a job in Indianapolis and left earlier in July; the boys, Estefania and I stayed behind in North Carolina to try and sell a house.  The economy had affected our ‘neck of the woods’ just as it had many other places in the States.  Nevertheless, when it was all said and done, we got what we wanted and readied ourselves for a move to the mid-west!  Two days after Santa landed in Clemmons, North Carolina, the packers where there to wrap it all and load it up.  And on December the 29th, we pulled into Carmel, Indiana.

We hit the ground like gangbusters!  I was determined to make our house a home as soon as possible.  Rising early and staying up late… slicing with box cutters and strategically placing loading paper aside, we managed to have most of the main level done in a few days…that included pictures on the walls!!!  I had already mentally prepared myself for challenges and was determined to see the best in this move.  Indiana was our new home and we were going to make the best of it… but not for long!

February came and Indianapolis had won the bid to host the Superbowl.  The city was in full swing to showcase all it has to offer.  For starters, Lucas Oil Stadium is amazing.   It is a beautiful structure.  And for it to be a closed dome in cold country… it was attractive in other ways.  During this time of the year, Indianapolis can see temps as low as 20’s and 30’s.  But no one was prepared for low 60’s.  It was perfect!  The weather, the entertainment, the atmosphere, the NFL experience… all worked out according to plans and before the weekend was over, the committee had made notes to consider Indianapolis in its cities of rotation!  My parents were able to come up for their first visit.  After services on Sunday night, we came home for a little chili to watch on television what was happening a few miles away.  David, on the other hand, had bird’s eye view with corporate suite viewing…

At the end of the month, we celebrated Jude’s 9th birthday.  He has changed the most between he and Luke.  His looks, his personality, his interests… he constantly evolves (although using that word around him might spark a debate on creation and evolution!).  It is hard for me to see them getting so tall.  I have been with them 24-7 since the day they were brought into this world.  Both of them still look to David and I as their ‘go-to source’ for truth.  We have tried to teach them right from wrong; to know, to love and to obey Jesus; to put God’s teachings first above man; and to search scriptures for truth.  Even at their tender age, the seeds have been planted to question what is taught to them when it opposes Christ’s teachings and to ready themselves to defend their beliefs.  Putting into practice these beliefs is still growing within.  Luke is more carefree and Jude is more serious.  Luke is more gray and Jude is more black and white.  They both have talents that will help them to grow in faith and to serve.  I see Luke, as more of the social one, accomplishing the goal of helping to ‘seek and save’ the lost.  He is more likely to put himself in those situations.  I see Jude as one who will guard close doctrine that is based on the inspired words of God and not man’s influence.  The challenge is combining the two… remaining faithful to Gods’ teachings while seeking the lost!

Ok, ok… so onto the spring…

Well… we went on our first cruise!  After driving south and swinging through Attalla to pick up my parents, we all headed west to New Orleans.  It was a great vacation… the opportunity to do as much or as little as one wanted to… a vacation in its truest sense.  Not to mention the food!  It was a Caribbean cruise down to Mexico.  Other than Dad thinking I had been left in Progresso… the trip was low key and low stress.  I think mom and dad have the cruise bug to go again (David too!).  However,  I would like to book an adventure tour with some outfitter in Alaska somewhere… doesn’t that sound like fun???  Any takers???

Later in the spring, Luke and Jude were signed up for baseball.  They played with the local Carmel Dad’s Club.  There are enough players in the league to where they only played other players in Carmel.  Luke’s speed showed itself early on and caught the eye of his coach.  He continued to pitch and polish his game up a bit.  At the plate he also showed progress.  By the end of the season he had made an impression and was selected to play in the all-star game.  Likewise, Jude strengthened his game this past spring.  He was put at the mound and had a fantastic season.  He is a lefty and it tickles me to see him in his wind-up.  Again… he takes it very serious.

During one game, he hit three players almost back to back at the plate.  Luckily he got out of the inning unharmed and his dad was there to offer words of encouragement back in the dugout.  He told him of a time when his uncle Scott (also a lefty) had hit the same player three times in one game!  We made light of it all and told Jude to brush it off and start new next time.  At next practice, one of Jude’s teammates was giving Jude a hard time… he was trash talking.  He acknowledged that Jude had hit those three players and stated that there wasn’t much worse in baseball than that.  I was overhearing this and wasn’t sure how Jude would respond.  He replied that if he had hit four players that that would be worse and he was just getting started! J  Good job Jude… that kid didn’t know what to say after that!  Jude also was selected for all-stars and ended up his season as a champion…

Closing up baseball put us right into June.  I would have to say that when my dad called me on the night of June 6th, I was ready.  Mary Ivadean Dale, born on April 27, 1919 passed away that night.  I was sad, I cried a little, and then I prayed.  I thanked God for her life and for her influence on my life.  I then smiled and felt peace for her reward and her homecoming.  I know where she is and what I need to do to see her spirit again…

July brought the reunion of friends from all over… from our most recent friends in North Carolina, to the oldies but goodies down in Alabama, to those you may only see every five years… but cherish just the same.  It was a time of encouragement, laughter and making memories.  While vacationing in Panama City Beach, we took our annual trip to Shipwreck Island.  Playing with family and friends in the wave pool, Jude asked, ‘Mommy, did you and daddy come to Shipwreck on your honeymoon?’  Surprised I replied, ‘No.’   Full of joy he declares, ‘I am… I love it here!’  Good times, good times ~  In addition, both Luke and Jude closed out their summer water activities by taking advantage of a surfing camp new to Carmel, Indiana.  They learned tricks on the boogie board as well as learning to surf.

Lots of travel and activities kept us busy, but it was time to refocus and prepare for the new changes in school.  Luke was going to be in middle school and Jude a 4th grader.  How does this happen?  Where does the time go?  Luke was enrolled in his classes and Jude had his state required classes... off they went.  They both live really close to their schools, close enough to walk.  And after reading Free Range Kids, courtesy of my dear friend Heidi… I was ready to let Luke venture out.  He and his friend Adam met up every morning at 7:20 to walk to school together and then would walk home in the afternoon with another group of neighbors.  After the time changed, I retightened the reigns some and he started riding with Adam in the morning and walking home in the afternoon.

Fall was also a time for football.  Both Luke and Jude tried out and made their teams.  As I was introducing myself to Luke’s coach, he stated that Luke was the new kid, the unknown… but that he was fast.  I fondly recall telling him that both his dad and I are originally from Alabama and we sort of know what football is all aboutJ  War Eagle and Roll Tide!!!  Although he is one of their running backs and has scored, by far, Luke loves defense.  He has played linebacker this year and can’t get enough.  As this was Jude’s first year, he mostly played on the line.  He later played a little safety and tight end and was their official kicker.  His coach was a former NFL linebacker for the Colts and managed to bring those little newbies to the championship game.  Again Jude walked away a Champion!  In addition, both Luke and Jude made all-stars and loved their seasons… can’t ask for much more than that!

Fall also brought the biggest change to date in our family’s history.  David had interviewed earlier in September with Jackson National Life out of Michigan.  The position he was applying for was in Nashville, Tennessee.  With some initial resistance (like digging my heels in and having sparks fly out the sides), I eventually resolved to hear him out and tried to believe that this was it… REALLY… this was it???  No more moves?  This is it for you, David?  I asked for it in blood and he consented!  October 1 found David in Nashville, Tennessee as the ‘beginning of the end’ of his career moves.  I wanted to believe it, but I was scared.  We had just moved to Indiana less than 9 months earlier.  The boys, Estefania and I have decided to ride it out in Indiana until the end of the school year.  David will commute back and forth on the weekends and will spend his free time scouting out the Franklin/Brentwood areas.  We have always wanted to get back closer to our families in Alabama.  And this is about as close as we can get!  So, where is home???  Tennessee… sounds good to me ~ 

As fall grew to a close, both Luke and Estefania found themselves getting one year older.  It was her 21st and his 12th!!!   Again, I DO NOT like this getting older and growing up part.  Not sure why, because I have always stated that we are growing young men around here and not babies.  Oh well… I will continue to cherish each day.  I know that God is writing our script and already knows the ending.  I have trusted in HIM and will continue to do so.  I have always desired and prayed for God’s will to be done in our lives.  And even though my faith has waivered over the years, HE has always been faithful to HIS promises.  It is during times like these… times for family and friends …that I find myself reflective and thankful.  My family has been blessed far more than we deserve.  I pray that we will continue to stay focused on what is most important and let the trivial desires waste away.

In closing, I want to wish you all a very
                              Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year…

                     HO, HO, HO ~ David, Julie, Estefania, Luke and Jude

         

2 comments:

  1. What a great history of your year! And so glad you are getting closer. Hope 2013 is even better than 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little did I know how much 2012 would bring when I stated to 'Bring it on' in an earlier post!!!
    Thank You ~

    ReplyDelete