What is one of the supporting casts of one of the 'Super Foods' on all super food lists??? You guessed it... Wheat Germ! She is a friend of Oats! AND... well, I don't know really how important she is, but I do know that I have never used it in anything. But recently I have been researching and trying to make life more optimal by buying, preparing and eating more nutritious foods around here.
So this morning I had a plan. The boys had requested french toast for breakfast. This week is Indiana's
I-STEP week (their end of year testing) and I am doing my parental part to make sure that the boys are well fed before they are off to school.
Anyways... I had bought wheat germ and was thinking of ways to use it, when I thought I could add a little to the egg mixture for the french toast. So, I did. The boys ate it up and I then shared my secret with them. They liked the idea that they couldn't taste it ... they think because it has the word germ in it, it is supposed to taste bad!'
Here's to a little optimal health on your French Toast!
I love wheat germ. I remember my mom always had a jar of it in the fridge. Who knows what she put it in. We put it in our homemade granola. Good stuff! I've also been adding flax into a few things like oatmeal. I'll have to try the french toast idea.
ReplyDeleteI too have it in the fridge... and I put it on everything now! Oatmeal, anything I bake I subtitute it for the flour portion. I made oatmeal cookies last week and used 1 1/2 cups of wheat germ as opposed to flour. Turned out yummy and I crumble the cookies over our smoothies. So excited about my new friend!
ReplyDelete