06 June 2020

A Rainbow Heart...

felt rainbow hearts, rainbow heart, felt heart
What color is my heart?, he asked.
Hopefully healthy, was the reply.
He continued, 'No, I mean the color... what color is it?
Hopefully pure.
I don't think you understand. I am wondering what color is my heart, he insisted.
Oh, but I do understand, more than you do actually. A healthy heart and a pure heart is one that has the colors of and is filled with the fruits of the spirit:
love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. 
Asking me what color is your heart is simply an identifier. In the most simplest of terms, I can't concretely tell you because I can't 'see' it. But in a greater sense of identifying the color of your heart, I can 'see' it. I can see it in your words. I can see it in your actions. I can see it in your intent. I can see it in your desires. I can see it in how your plans unfold. I can see it in those that you serve, willingly and cheerfully.
A self serving heart or a conditional heart or even a heart that checks boxes is a different color than authentic hearts that seek joy in serving.

The older man continued, 'Humor me if you will. Close your eyes please. What color do you see when you see love? When you see joy? When you see peace and kindness?'
What color do you see in goodness and faithfulness and gentleness and self-control?

The young lad paused and said, 'Love is not a color. Joy is not a color. Kindness and goodness are not colors. But I guess if I had to give them a color, I might say the colors that make me happy. I might say the colors that bring a smile to my face, like the colors of the rainbow. Yes, the rainbow. Those colors are promises of God.
They give me hope...

The older man smiled and said, 'Dear child, I think you have just discovered what 'color' you heart is.' To which he added, 'The colors of the rainbow are always present. Always. But they are reflected and seen most often after the storms. When someone asks you about the color of something as an identifier, please remember the rainbow as your standard.

...Love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control should always be what 'color' we are...  



No comments:

Post a Comment