| It will no longer hold water, but what it does hold is more valuable... |
I purchased this water pitcher in the spring of 1995. It is a handmade pitcher from an a quaint, little shop selling beautiful pieces brought in from a local Indian reservation. Wrapped around the center of it is scripture...
'draw near to God and He will draw near to you...'
It was by far one of my favorites that I was returning home with.
One of my dear friends, Klancie Smith and I had taken a spring break trip out west to Colorado (looking for cowboys, I think). Upon loading our rental car with suitcases and gift packages, it was left behind the back left tire.
We said our goodbyes to one of our host families and I pulled out.
And then I heard it.
And I remembered.
I was sick.
I parked the car, we got out and went to look at the damage. Klancie and I looked down at the scattered pieces of my prized keepsake. Her action plan consisted of gathering the pieces for the trash while mine asked the homeowner for tissue paper. It was coming home with me, just in a different way. I remember chatting with her and convincing her to help me collect as much as we could and to preserve as best we could all that was salvageable.
As close as our friendship had become, I don't think Klancie had yet learned my spirit of determination. Individually wrapped pieces were carried through three airports and security (before regulations had changed). To say that I was in possession of sharp edges that could cause bodily harm is an understatement.
But we managed.
Sitting on my parents deck the following summer, I began the laborious task of putting together what is now one of my favorite travel pieces. Epoxy glue, sun sweat, patience and lots of love are what holds this pitcher together.
When I look at it, I always remember Klancie.
And I always smile.
I always remember not throwing it away.
And I smile.
I always remember that hot Alabama summer piecing it back together.
And I smile.
But as the years have passed I have learned more from this pitcher. Our lives are meant to be broken. Our spirits are meant to be broken. Not from a place of sadness but from gratitude and thankfulness. It is from the holes and cracks of our brokenness that our love more freely pours out and our light shines.
Be grateful and be thankful...
Stay broken.
No comments:
Post a Comment