There is just something about revisiting your youthful, childhood activities that makes you 'feel' young all over again. Even if it is in one's mind... everyone fondly rewinds those years of old and returns to reality with a grin on their face :) I wanted to make it my reality, at least one more time, if for nothing else, to let Luke and Jude see a snip-it of what I once could do. So, I went to the gym for my adult fitness class and afterwards, I would slowly start working on my flexibility. My mind could easily 'see' me doings the stunts but my body had other plans. Once I felt I had enough bend in my back and strength in my shoulders, I asked for help. Steve drew the lucky straw that day and spotted me on my first standing back handspring in over 10 years. Two more and I was done for the day. Nick drew the next lucky straw a week or so later and I logged in 3 that day. It seemed that every other week I was ready to hang around the gym and go for it.
Then the day came when I would do it by myself. On Wednesday, May 15th it was starting to get warmer. We had had a couple of days where temps reached into the 80's. I could feel it and I could sense it. I even told a fellow gym partner during a break that I wanted to try a standing back handspring and she encouraged me to do it. After getting into position, arms out front, looking behind me, breathing deeply, looking back again... I walked away. It just wasn't time. Class continued and and I still had my mind on it. It was a hard cardio workout that day and coupled with the heat, I was ready to just sit and take a break after class. I sat in my chair, resting and looking out at the mock 40 yard line that was calling me back. I knew I could do it, honestly, I was just scared.
Scared or not, it was time. I got up. I walked out to the middle of the field and I readied myself. After having Nick and Steve spot me and them telling me that they weren't helping me at all... I knew that my technique and skill level was there, but my confidence was not. I simply spoke to myself and encouraged myself and then I went for it. I stood there and completed a standing back handspring... the first one in over 10 years. Oddly enough, it was as if I had been doing them all along. Just that quick it came back to me. I leaped for joy, I yelled out, and I cheered with excitement. And just that quick I turned to do a tumbling pass. Albeit a small one, I went for it. Talking to myself along the way, I found myself walking into a round-off back handspring. I did it! Again, I yelled out and startled the Zumba class on the courts close by. I now had an audience and I wanted more. I walked back and again completed one more tumbling pass. Personal pride is an understatement of what I felt at that moment. As I turned to walk back to my cubby, I saw Nick walking towards me. He was smiling as well and his pride in me made it even better. He, and the rest of the gang, has been there with me since October and has seen me through it. He stuck his hand up for a high-five and said, 'Congrats!' I thanked him, told him it was only one in a series of many to come. I intended to do at least two back to back on the following Friday!
So, that Friday came and I never completed my series. I did however 'see' myself doing it many times. I decided that May 31st would be my goal date and that I would video and document it that day. I had initially planned to have a clip of my younger days to go along with 20+ years later. Those clips are all boxed up in storage for the time being, so that part will have to wait. Until then... this is the best I can offer.
Enjoy ~
I may not be a good as I once was.... but I am as good once as I ever was!!!
WOW! That's Amazing. Great JOB! I would have no clue how to do it and if I did know how I don't think my body could do it. That is just awesome! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteThanks Casey... I needed a big project to keep my mind and body occupied with us moving again... I picked a good challenge!!!
DeleteI'm impressed. I couldn't imagine you not being able to do that
ReplyDeleteJeremy
Thanks Jeremy... You know me better than most, so that really means a lot!
Delete