The lesson that Michael used was to rip up, to tear up, or to burn up ANYTHING that provided an opportunity for his children to become victim of this type of sin. These boys didn't go looking for an opportunity to 'lust' after someone... it showed up in their mail. And then I quickly remembered.
Last week, a Sports Illustrated magazine came in the mail for Luke. It was a by-product of a Christmas present. The magazine focuses mainly on Michael Jordan turning 50 and I was excited for Luke to read up on him. When he arrived home from school, I showed it to him and together we peeked through the pages. It didn't take long for us to come to the ad featuring the swimsuit edition. Without pause Luke passed right on by to the next page. Stunned (either because he didn't stop and 'lust' or because he was too embarrassed that his mom was right beside him), I later expressed how proud I was of him for his action. In fact, he had very little regard for the magazine at all and it quickly went into the recyclable bin.
But today, in worship, I had an idea. We would take it out, tear/cut it out and burn it. This was going to be our teachable moment and let it signify how sin can and will destroy our lives.
Many may think, 'What's the big deal?' 'It's only an ad for the swimsuit edition... it's not like it's Playboy!' And my response to that is, 'You may look at the printed picture and fool yourself to think it is only swimsuits... when I see soft-porn.' And in this house... we will burn it!
No comments:
Post a Comment