29 May 2012

Journey of Love and Learning to Love...


In April of 1996, while sitting in worship services (I know...), I wrote a poem to my future husband.  I knew that one day we would meet and I would eventually give this poem to him.

That spring I had called my grandmother, in tears, wanting to talk with her regarding my feelings of lonliness and wanting someone to share my life with and my journey of serving God.  Her words have never left me (as many of them still speak to me daily) and I hung up the phone knowing that there were things in this world much worse than being alone!  I did ask her to pray for me and for my future husband.

Later that year in August, I met David Lee Bowers.  The night after I met him I told my mother that I had met her future son-in-law.  We began dating and by that Christmas we were seriously talking about our lives together, future plans... and marriage.  One of his presents that year was a book (I love books, and have given him one annually since then) with his poem tucked safely inside.

If you don't mind, I would like to share that poem with you:

'To My Love'

When I'm alone I often think
What is it my future holds?
Are you there? Do you love me?
How long before I know?

I yearn too much for I cannot think
My thoughts are clouded by you,
When someone wants and loves as I
Even breathing is hard to do.

I want so much to be loved by you
How will you ever know?
As each day passes again I wait
For with you I may be whole.

Your sweet, sweet smile fills my soul
With warm and comforting love,
So much joy and happiness
As pure as a heavenly dove.

Tomorrow will come and again I'll pray
'Lord bless him and keep him strong,
Watch over him and if be Your will
Send him, for the nights are long.'

But until that day I'll wait once more
My love, tomorrow is near,
And when your loving face I see
May laughter and smiles replace the tears.

J. Cleveland

That year my grandmother celebrated gift giving with my family and David.  He was sitting on the hearth, in front of the fireplace.  I walked over to her, sat down beside her and whispered to her, 'That young man sitting over there... he is the one we have been praying for...'


Fast forward 15 plus years.  David and I have been married for 13 years.  We have lived in nine different places, on 3 different continents.  Two beautiful boys have joined us through this journey.  Many, many blessings have come our way and through it all, I have found comfort in counting them all.

However, life is hard sometimes.  Marriage is hard work.  And more often than not, two lives find it difficult to live as one unit.  The pulls and tugs of life (more like worldly compromises and selfish gains) find you looking at the one you thought you couldn't live without... wondering what you saw in the first place.

I admit it, I am guilty.  But I am blessed... far greater than I will ever deserve.  My early, faithful prayers  were answered according to what I needed and wanted.  God is great and His love is unending. 

Lately, I have found my selfish desires weakening my attitude of service.  I didn't even want to try.  I'll spare you the details, but my faith is renewed and my love for David is restored.  I recently wrote another poem to him.  It chronicles my journey, as real as it is.  If interested, it follows below...

I longed for you, I prayed for you
I desired you before you came,
I cried for you, I planned for you
I wanted to take your name.

Your presence brought me peace
Lonely no longer was I
Your laughter stopped the tears at night
No longer I questioned 'why'?

Looking back I was so young
I didn't fully understand
To love, to submit, to honor and cherish
Spoken words, vows written by hand?

You're you, I'm me so different you see
How can two become one flesh?
In theory, in scripture, in words... okay
But in actions and deeds... no less!

Was it simply an idea, a fantasy gone astray
You change me, I change you
Good luck, good grief, NO WAY!

I've given up, I don't want control
I trust in your leading ways,
You hear me and you respect my thoughts
You give me the time of day.

I'm broken and weak, I have little to give
Simple pleasures shall brighten my day,
I promise to seek what's best for our love
And lift your spirit in praise.

Do you love me?  Do you love ALL of me?
Do your thoughts of me make you smile?
Do you miss me?  Do you miss the real me?
... been gone for quite a while.

I want her back, I want us back
I want it better than before.
I want to love deeply, I want happiness
No longer my heart to be sore.

I have failed.  I have wronged you
I have wronged our family.
Two hearts, two lives, two dreams collide,
No plans let Satan free.

What's your defense?  What's my defense?
How will we take back what's ours?
The future has caused me to pause right here
Let the past drain away this hour.

Amazing love you've given
Unlike any I've ever known.
I've doubted, I've feared, I've waivered in trust
Yet here is where I belong.

I'm giving you my all, my heart
My life belongs to you,
I WILL honor and cherish, submit and love
To you I'll ever be true.

Created was I to be your helper
A suitable mate bringing joy to your life,
Many blessings have I to hold and to love
But the greatest is being your wife.

Thank you, Dear God, for your patience divine
My faith has been restored,
Walking not by sight while serving You
Proudly calling you my Lord!

J. C. Bowers

We all have our burdens to bear.  We all have to find our own way to deal with the challenges and struggles that this world throws our way.  I am thankful more than ever before to have David in my life to lighten each other's load and lift each other up.




8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They are truly inspirational and a reminder to be thankful for all He has blessed us with. Hugs! Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can get this water out of my eyes, maybe I can type. This probally is the most encouraging day I have had in weeks. God bless you and David.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me cry. You are a very good person. And I'm glad that you and David are together. You don't know how much you mean to me. You have helped me in my life more then you know. And that I'm glad that you have each other. Mother would always say that I would find someone one day. And like you I did. I hope and pray that me and my wife have a marriage and relationship as good as yours and David. You deserve so much. I'm happy for you. And happy to call you my friend. I hope David don't mind me saying this, but I Love you. Like a sister. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you too Mandy. It was something on my heart and I find comfort in writing/journaling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad ~ No need to elaborate anymore on here. Working it out like we do everything else... by ourselves. Love you too ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh ~ First of all, I love you too. You have such a beautiful heart and your family means more to our family than any of you will ever know. I consider you more like family than friends and am thankful to have you in my life...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an inspiring woman! So many lines in that last poem could have been written by me (if I had your talent!). Something changes us as we evolve through the years and we must be careful of who is authoring those changes. Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny hearing those words 'inspiring woman' from you. I look at you and I look at yours and Alex's support as a family unit and am thankful for your love and sacrifice.
    BTW... you were one of three that inspired me to start blogging without even knowing it ~ People are always watching!
    Love you ~

    ReplyDelete