01 May 2011

A Rollercoaster of Emotions...

Wow, where do I start?  Let's see... first of all my grandmother celebrated her 92nd birthday on Wednesday, April 27th.  The F5 tornado that ripped through Alabama (with a current count of over 250 confirmed dead!) is heartbreaking.  And tomorrow, my family will travel to Asheville, NC to visit the Biltmore for the first time... 
Mary Ivadean Dale
Thankfulness for the many hours spent beside her in her kitchen.  Thankful for her sound doctrine that has directly and indirectly shaped me into the lady that I am today.  Thankful for her strength, her independence and her attitude of service. 


I have learned over the years that it is not material possessions that make you happy... for I have more now and have been blessed far more than I deserve along those lines... and often find myself yearning for those long summer days in hot, humid Alabama.  Playing outside til way after dark (most of the time with shoes, but many times without).

I yearn for simpler times and more quality time with family.  I yearn for bike rides and mountain climbs.  I yearn for picking muscadines and eating them until my stomach aches.  I yearn for climbing trees and catching bees.  I yearn for war games and making forts from fallen logs and raked pine straw.  I yearn for family vacations where we actually enjoy our time together (not the hustle and bustle of trying to entertain the children)... Times like sleeping outside on the balcony while the falling rain cools you.  Times like catching mud puppies in Uncle Danny's creek and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on Aunt Sharon's picnic table. 


When I think on these things I am thankful for the family that God has blessed me with.  And at the heart of her stands my grandmother.  I know she is not perfect and she has faults that I may never be privy to know.  But none of that matters to me.  As far as I am concerned she has left her legacy with me.  Our personal times shared will never be forgotten and will continue to be shared with her two greats...
Luke and Jude.


Her words have but for the most part left her.  She speaks now only when spoken to and often refuses to reply then... but I hear her so many times in moments of quiet rest.  She speaks to me almost everyday. 
I love you Ma Dale... hope you have a
'Happy 92nd Birthday!'

F5 Tornado of Alabama

WOW!  I am so super thankful that none of my family was personally affected by these storms.  I pray that the search and rescue efforts will be successful, many will be rescued and all will be recovered.
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DG6giQ3csbUg%26feature%3Dshare&h=54fda
The above is footage from Tuscaloosa, AL.

Biltmore ~ Asheville, NC
After traveling two hours west on 40 we arrived at the now 8,000 acre estate (what once was 175,000 acres) known as The Biltmore for the
4th Annual Spring Homeschool Festival.  David took a day from work and was the traveling principal for the day :) ... 
When we first arrived Luke and Jude attended the morning activities.  There they watched Russian ballerina dancers, a Spainish  flamenco dancer, heard Italian opera singers, and listened to Grimm Brothers tales from Germany...

I know the 'D' is backwards!!!
Were stained with all natural henna art from India
made Egyptian paper from recycled paper and plant material
 painted in pointilism from France
 and watched the on-site blacksmith make his works of art! Whew!!!









After taking a nice little lunch break, it was on to the main attraction...
The Biltmore Estate
'Bilt' from Bilt, Holand and 'More' from the ??? word meaning rolling hills!



One tired kiddo...
All in all it was a beautiful day being outside, learning lots and enjoying the sites.  I'm sure it will be an annual event for us.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun time! We may just have to join you sometime. I've seen the Biltmore at Christmas, but have always wanted to see it in spring. And I LOVE the shirts...you have given me an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do and thanks! I guess it was the least that I could do since your blog was one of my inspirations to get started!!!

    ReplyDelete