20 March 2011

Nuestra Familia es Su Familia!!!


Little did I know in 2003 that the sweet, shy and loving 11 year old girl I met would come back into my life some eight years later.  Let me introduce to you Gloria Estefania Capera Martinez.  I'm not really interested in disclosing much of her family history (let's just say it has been a little tough at times)... but I never forgot about her.  Language kept me from developing the relationship with her that I wanted (as did with many of my Colombian friends); however, my heart told me all I needed to know... 

Estefania spent much time at our home in Bogota... from fellowshipping with us and our church friends, to playing with Luke and Jude, to baking banana bread in my kitchen.  I felt like she looked to me as a 'mother figure'.  I was old enough to be her mother...and I treated her like she was part of our family. 

Through the means of the internet, modern day technology, old fashion telephone calls, and visits from mutual friends... I have managed to keep in touch with her.  Sometime last fall, we connected via Facebook.  I reached out and she responded.  She was in the United States.  How and why would later be discovered, but a reconnection was on the horizon. 

An invitation to have her come and visit was offered and on March 11th the Bowers set out for Charlotte, NC.  What does she look like? Will we recognize her?  Will she recognize us?  How much has she changed? 

Luke and Jude were practicing their spanish with each other when I saw her.  She had not changed.  Yes, but no... and I called out her name.  That was the beginning of a great week.  Saturday at the ballpark, Sunday at church, Tuesday riding horses, Thursday at the zoo and Friday she left.  As quickly as she had come, she had left... but not for long!

On Wednesday, after talking and praying and talking some more, David and I asked Estefania to sit with us for awhile... we had something to say...
Do you want to live with us? 
Quieres a vivir con nosotros?
After a super emotional talk the three of us had come to the agreement that Estefania could live with us indefinetly...  for however long it takes.  She has plans.  She has goals.  She is a survivor.  We just want to help.  Whereever our future takes us, she is now part of it. 

Her english is broken but her spirit is healing. 
The relationship that I have with her is difficult to explain, simply because words haven't been the most important part of our relationship.  It's a natural nurturing feeling that a mother has for a child.  It's the desire on my part to see that she is safe and healthy and well taken care of... (yet she has lived in the US for some 10 months, has secured a job, opened two bank accounts, paid cash for a vehicle and is a honest, hard working individual contributing to our society). 

In my own conversational spanish I explained to Estefania that I knew she was going to make it.  She is intelligent (studying both industrial and environmental engineering in Bogota), she has a good head on her shoulders, makes wise choices and is letting her reason override her emotions (her heart wants to be in her own country).  I knew she would survive with or without David and I... but we want to help.  We want to lighten her load and put her on the right path here in America... 
after my little pep talk... David simply says,
 'Nuestra familia es su familia'

Estefania...
Tu eres en manos buenas!  Y te quiero!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for your family and especially for Estafania. She is so blessed to have you in her life. Can't wait to meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Casey... hopefully she'll be here soon!!!

    ReplyDelete