22 November 2010

Birthdays, Boys and Books

     I am just now getting around to posting about Luke's BIG 10th Birthday...  partly because I am still in denial that he is in fact 10!  This has been the 2nd hardest birthday of his for me to accept... the first one was when he turned 5. 
     Luke has been a huge fan of swords, knives, lightsabers and the such since birth.  I have numerous pictures of him as a small child 'packin' more than the usual in his diapers... whatever he could find (sticks, broken ended pieces of toys that, in his imagination, would transform into a modern day sword, etc)  I have always said that when the time comes for the Marines to visit the highschool students... Luke would be the one that would take one good look and what he has hanging on the side of the marine's uniform and proudly inquire, 'How can I get one of those?!'



     So, on the night before Luke's 5th birthday he had fallen asleep in his Peter Pan costume (along with the sword) from year 3.  I refused to take it off of him and in fact wanted him to sleep in it to, in my mind, seal that fact that he would be the 'boy who never grows up!'.  He did and I documented it in still shot photo.  Then, I got past it and here we are fast forward 5 years later and I am feeling it again.
     Nevertheless, we have gotten through this weekend and I now have a young boy who is 10. 
     The day of his birthday the three of us celebrated (while waiting for David) at Barnes and Nobles for some treats at the cafe and one of Luke's favorites... BOOKS!  I couldn't be prouder of the fact that Luke loves to read.  Instead of buying him a book ahead of time, I should've just allowed him to read his present there at the store.  By the time we arrived, ordered, sat down and ate and drank, and visited a little waiting on David to join us... he finished the book! 



     Friday came bringing lots of fun and laughter to the Bowers' household.  Luke had invited a few of his besties to join him at home for pizza, cake, ice cream and lots of play.  It was no surprise that we had some sleepy heads the next morning. 
     All in all, it has been a fun filled, busy weekend.  However, once the craziness calmed and the house is now put back together, I have had time to reflect on what is most important about this 10 year old that is downstairs assembling one of his other presents...  I have a 10 year old that has come a long way in helping his dad and I figure out this parenting thing.  One thing is for sure, I may never get it right.  I have been blessed far above what I deserve.  I try to make everything so complicated when he reminds me of how simple life is.  I get so frustrated while he quietly forgives.  I expect so much out of him and too often want him to be a little man when he reminds me of what it is like to be a kid, to laugh and have fun.  I am thankful for so many things in my life... today I am thankful for you, Luke.  I love you ~ Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment